Saturday, August 02, 2008

Watermelon slice


Watermelon slice
Originally uploaded by Kay Farquharson
May 2015: There were some errors in the original version of this pattern (pre-2015). I have since re-worked the pattern which are reflected below. The pattern is also available as a PDF through my Ravelry page (kaylmnop). Please message me through Ravelry should you encounter any further problems. 
___

During a fit of amigurumi maddness I had a hankering to whip up a watermelon slice...but alas, I was unable to find a pattern for such a thing. So, in my brilliance, I decided it was high time I try creating a pattern of my own. Thus...these lovely watermelon slices. The first attempt as a bit lumpy and bumpy, but it set a great foundation for the second attempt, which was a success. Here's the pattern for you other amigurumi addicts itching for a new pattern to try out. I'd love to hear back from those who try it out...to date, I'm the only one to have used the pattern. Let me know if there are any hiccups...


Amigurumi Watermelon Slice
Created by Kay Farquharson

Materials:
3.5 mm (E) crochet hook
Green worsted weight yarn (I used Red Heart Soft Touch)
Red worsted weight yarn (I used Bernat Berella "4" Afghan Yarn - Geranium)
Black worsted weight yarn (about 1 m long) (I used Red Heart worsted)
Batting
Darning Needle

Note: This pattern is completed in joined rounds.

Foundation Row: Using green yarn ch 31. Turn.

Row 1: sc in 2nd st from hook, sc in next 29 st. Turn. (30 st)

Row 2: ch 1. sc in next 29 st. Turn. (30 st)

Row 3: repeat row 2.

Round 4:
ch 3 (as 1 bpdc), bpdc in next 29 st. dc in same space as last bpdc. dc in each row end (3 st).
bpdc in same space as last dc. bpdc in next 29 st. dc in same space as last bpdc. dc in each row end (3 st). Join round with slst into 3rd chsp at beginning of round. (66 st)

Round 5: ch 1. sc in next 65 st. Join round with slst in ch 1 sp. (66 st) Break green yarn, leaving a long tail.

Round 6: Using red yarn, repeat Round 5. (66 st)

Round 7:
ch 1. sc, invdec, sc in next 2 st, (invdec, sc in next 2 st) 5 times, invdec, sc in next 2 st
sc in next 4 st
sc, invdec, sc in next 2 st, (invdec, sc in next 2 st) 5 times, invdec, sc in next 2 st
sc in next 4 st. Join round with slst in ch 1 sp. (52 st)

Round 8:
ch 1. sc in next 51 st. Join with slst into ch 1 sp. (52 st)

Round 9:
ch 1. (invdec, sc in next st) 4 times, sc in next st, (invdec, sc in next st) 3 times
sc in next 4 st
(invdec, sc in next st) 4 times, sc in next st, (invdec, sc in next st) 3 times
sc in next 4 st. Join with slst into ch 1 sp. (38 st)
 
Round 10:
ch 1. sc in next 37 st. Join with slst into ch 1 sp. (38 st)

Round 11:
ch 1. (invdec, sc in next st) 5 times
sc in next 4 st
(invdec, sc in next st) 5 times
sc in next 4 st. Join with slst into ch1 sp. (28 st)

Round 12: ch 1, sc in next 27 st. Join with slst into ch 1 sp. (28 st)

Round 13: repeat rnd 12. (28 st)

Round 14:
ch 1, invdec, 2 sc, invdec, 2sc, invdec
sc in next 4 st
invdec, 2 sc, invdec, 2sc, invdec
sc in next 4 st. Join with slst into ch1 sp. (22 st)

Round 15: ch 1, sc in next 21 st. Join with slst into ch 1 sp. (22 st)

Seeds: Using black yarn and darning needle, stitch in “seeds”.

Round 16:
ch 1, invdec, 3sc, invdec
sc in next 4 st
invdec, 3sc, invdec
sc in next 4 st. Join with slst into ch1 sp. (18 st)

Round 17:
ch 1, invdec, sc, invdec
sc in next 4 st
invdec, sc, invdec
sc in next 4 st. Join with slst into ch1 sp. (14 st)

Round 18:
ch 1, invdec, sc
sc in next 4 st
invdec, sc
sc in next 4 st. Join with slst into ch1 sp. (12 st)

Tie off and cut yarn, leaving a tail about 30 cm.

Stuff slice.

With darning needle, use tail of red yarn to close opening across top of slice.

16 Comments:

At 7:32 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Just in time for watermelon season! I may have to go and buy one on the street corner now. Very clever of you to design a pattern.

 
At 8:08 pm, Blogger Joy in Bama said...

I am totally with ya on the Ami madness, lol. I don't make any critters but I have this strange fascination with yarn food, lol. I've already got your pattern saved and plan on making a few slices tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!!!!!!! I found you on Ravelry.

Joy in Alabama, USA

 
At 11:11 pm, Blogger Kay said...

Thanks for your comments Joy in Alabama! I'd love to hear how the pattern works out for you! It's the first pattern I've drafted so hope it's all clear. Good luck!

 
At 12:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is your Korean friend Young-sook. I enjoyed seeing your knitting patterns. I am still keeping your snow flake knitted by you.

I will send you a Christmas card. Bye.

 
At 8:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
i found you thru raverly. the watermelon slices are perfect and exactly what i was looking for.
do you know how to do an ant? i am thinking about 3-4 inches long. i am making a new set for my bby's swing and doing a picnic theme.
thank you
janie

 
At 10:31 pm, Blogger Kay said...

Hi Janie,
Thanks so much for your comments. Sorry for taking forever to respond. Sadly I don't have a pattern for an ant, although, that would be super cute. If you haven't already found a pattern, may I suggest a pattern modification that might work. Have a look at the turtle pattern at http://gnathalie2.wordpress.com/2007/09/01/afternoon-delight/ (which is super cute!). If you did up the pattern for the head three times and attached them together, it may give you the ant-like effect you're after. You may even be able to borrow the leg pattern for the ant, if you want an ant with sturdy legs! Anyway, just a suggestion! Hope the watermelon slices worked out!
Kay

 
At 10:35 pm, Blogger Kay said...

Hi Young-sook!

So nice to hear from you and see that you are checking my blog now and then. I have been meaning to get some new stuff posted, but life is busy and other things take priority! I hope you're doing well. I'm working on my Christmas cards too and hope to have one off to you soon!

Take care,
Kay

 
At 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kay, I love the watermelon slice, it looks great. I do have a question: in row 4, what is bpdc? dc is double crochet, right? I hope to make this to go with my other fruit I have made...Thanks for the pattern, once I figure out the bpdc, I know I can make it...Thanks, Kathy

 
At 5:00 pm, Blogger Kay said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your interest in my watermelon slice.
The bpdc (back-post double crochet) stitch is a stitch I learned just before i wrote this pattern. It seemed like the most appropriate stitch to get the effect I was looking for since it kind of changes the direction the stitches are going. You can find instructions for the bpdc at the links below.

Lion Brand has very simple instructions: http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=232

Daphne's tutorial has great illustrations:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cottage/3606/stitches3.html

Thanks again. Hope the links help. Good luck.

 
At 8:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 11:29 am, Blogger Reality Jayne said...

Hot!...Love them... would be cute doubled for pillows on the summer porch.

 
At 1:11 pm, Blogger Gina Boulanger said...

These are so cute! I can't wait to make them for my pre-k class dramatic play center (and a few for my daughters, too!). Cheers!

 
At 3:42 am, Anonymous Suzy Houghton said...

I know you posted this a long time ago but I just dont get row 7. Are you only dec over 2 stitches because no matter how I do it I dont make it to end of round. You have after each invdec bracket 3times,4 times,3 times which only makes 10 decreased stitches.But at the end of the row you are 14 stitches less.Am I missing something vital????

 
At 4:27 pm, Anonymous Dee Gonzalez said...

Hi Kay! Dee in NY. Have been hunting for yummy-looking soap savers for all the kids in my life. Seems they use up the bars all too fast. Bingo!!! Found 1. Hope to do as many various fruits as possible. Was going to go w/ a sea theme, which became entirely too complicated, way too fast. Anywho, you're free to see mobile pics of my accomplishments on my Facebook page. It's Dee Likeideverleavehim
Gonzalez. Again, thank so much.
LOL! So smart, & creative! You
definitely get 2 thumbs up!!!

 
At 3:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the watermelon pattern, however I don't understand the term invdec. Can you explain?

Thank you.

 
At 11:08 pm, Blogger Kay said...

Hi there,

The stitch invdec is an invisible decrease...it's use a ton when making amigurumi animals. Super useful and nice and tidy. Here's a great video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ575_ZklWk

Kay :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home